Since joining AbacusBio in 2001, Peter has focused his strengths on delivering high-quality statistical, genetic and economic analysis and strategy to breeding programmes across a wide range of farmed species, both domestically and internationally.
An expert on global beef, sheep and dairy breeding, Peter has had extensive input into the development of economic indexes for beef, dairy and sheep for industries around the world and the commercialisation of new genetic technology.
His ability to analyse and innovate across multiple disciplines makes him an extremely effective problem-solver and a highly effective consultant.
His focus within AbacusBio is:
- Statistical, genetic and economic analysis of breeding strategies across sheep, dairy, deer and aquaculture sectors
- Strategies for using genomic technologies in livestock breeding programs and their benefits
- Development of multi-trait economic selection indexes
- Breeding value prediction
- Mate selection and allocation
- Maximizing genetic gain and minimizing inbreeding
Projects involved in:
- New Zealand King Salmon
- Dairy National Breeding Objectives
- Genetics advances aquaculture programme
- Once a Day Milking
- Genetic Evaluation of Irish Sheep Flock
- AbacusBio loves Otago Polytechnic
- Sheep and beef breeding
- Dairy breeding objectives
- Improving cow fertility
- British Texel sheep genetics
- Role of maternal genetics and genomics in beef breeding
- Anicloud: The easiest way to build your own genetics database!
- New selection index for Polish dairy cattle
- Adding value to bovine genetics